retest, test Python regular expressions in a webbrowser
what is it
A simple Server which enables tests of Python regular expressions (
module) in a webbrowser. Uses SimpleHTTPServer and
retest local browser application
retest is available to be run locally as a browser application.
You only need:
, a modern webbrowser like Firefox, IE (from 5.5), Safari or Opera (from 8) which handles
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License .
- retest-0.6.1 - 061224
Tested with Python 2.5, Firefox 1.06/126.96.36.199, Internet Explorer 6/7 and Opera 8.02/8.50 on Windows XP only. Seems to work best with Firefox and Opera, any feedback (success or failure ;) is welcome.
Paul Bissex reported retest working on OS X 10.4.3 (Python 2.4.1) in Safari, Camino, Opera, and Firefox. Bryon Gill reports retest working fine on Fedora Core 4, Python 2.4.1, Mozilla 1.7.10. James Thiele reports retest v0.5.1 works on OS X 10.3.9 Python 2.3. Erik Knowles reports retest working on Mandriva 10.1.
Start the server with
in your webbrowser (if the browser is not started automatically. You might want to adjust the
used in reserver.py.
The usage of the application itself should be self explanatory, take a look in the
Python documentation for the
Full keyboard usage is enabled. You may have to adjust the shortcuts to your browser or OS environment (e.g. on Windows
] puts the focus in the "
ext" field.). See the titles on the specific items for the keyboard shortcuts which are normally
the underlined characters or, in the case of the size adjustment buttons, the characters
- v0.7 090318
- retest with the alias name "re-try" is available as an online application on GAE.
- v0.6.1 061224
- merely optical changes swapping regex and text area and a bit of cleanup
- v0.6 060211
- lots of code improvements by James Thiele (thanks a lot!)
exitbutton (together with server code by James Thiele)
- v0.5.2 060202
convienience enhancement: added automatic opening of application webpage in the systems default browser (using the
- v0.5.1 050923
- removed absolute URL from retest.html. If you want to use a different port than the default (8087) now you need to adjust it in reserver.py only.
- v0.5 050911
re.search, both show groups and named groups if any found
- added accesskeys for all functionalities
- v0.4 050906
re.split: used wrong parameters until now, should work as expected now
- bugfix for IE: removed return from callback function which also makes IE behave and working
- added addEvent function to http.js
- changed event types
- bugfix for
- v0.3.1 050904
- calling the server with no path opens "retest.html" by default
- bugfix for Opera 8 in http.js
- v0.3 050828
- redid UI completely: accesskeys, proper tabindex, buttons to expand or shrink text, re or result areas
- result output displayed in <textarea> instead of <div> again due to HTML entity issues
- fix of unicode problems on the server side
- v0.2 050827
added radio selector for method of re, currently
- result output displayed as returnd from re directly
- result output displayed in <div> instead of <textarea>
- added radio selector for method of re, currently
- v0.1 050824
- initial release